Looking back at teaching Nutmeg to spin, it was certainly a more difficult trick for both of us to learn. I found it took more time, effort, and practice compared with our previous trick ‘Paws Up’. I had some trouble figuring out how to lead Nutmeg and she wasn’t too keen on doing a full circle without getting a treat. A number of times we had to backtrack during our practice and work again on a previous step. I ended up finding it quite helpful at the beginning of each training session, even later on in our training,  to get Nutmeg to practice a couple of half circles to remind her what we were doing. Finally, unlike the step-by-step guide from Guinea Pig Tricks, I decided not to phase out the use of treats for this trick as having a treat present helped Nutmeg stay much more focused.

Here is a look at our learning process and bloopers for Spin:

Audio: Nightmare by Javiis

I learned a few important things teaching Nutmeg Spin. First, the best treat for training time is lettuce! Nutmeg enjoys a variety of veggies and fruits however, she performed best when the treat I offered her was lettuce so I think it is safe to say that’s her favourite food. Second, Nutmeg likes silence. We had a number of training sessions that just didn’t go very well, Nutmeg was not a happy girl. I eventually realized that Nutmeg was stressed out by the sound of the washing machine and dishwasher and was not willing to practice her tricks if she could hear either of those things going.  Loud noises are scary for little Nutmeg, so I’ve learned it is best to have quiet time during training.

Spin Rating:

Carrot Rating for Spin

Spin was tougher for both of us, we definitely had some frustrating moments so I’m giving it 3 out of 5 carrots for training.As for her performance, Nutmeg did really well in the end. I’m proud of what we accomplished and hope that in the future, she might be able to perform her spin without a treat present.

Nutmeg presents Spin!